The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) released Draft Equipment Authorization Regulations in the Government Gazette on March 31, 2021. The draft regulation proposes a new type approval system based on three classes of equipment:
- Classification 1: Low Risk Equipment
- Classification 2: Medium Risk Equipment
- Classification 3: High Risk Equipment
Classification 1 equipment will be exempted from Equipment Authorization, while Class 2 and 3 equipment will be subject to the applicable conformity assessment approach. Under the new regulation, the conformity assessment approach will include two processes:
- Certification Application Process, resulting in a CoC
- Equipment Authorization Process, resulting in a Homologation Certificate
Prior ICASA approvals will continue to remain valid, however products with prior approval will need to comply with the updated ICASA compliance mark. We expect adoption of the regulation in early 2022, and implementation in mid-late 2022. Please contact Approve-IT for more details.